Friday, July 3, 2009

Gym Classes

I am not a very socially adventurous person. I am pretty much your naturally shy wallflower who would rather just not go to the party. When it comes to excercising at the gym I am most comfortable walking on a treadmill or using an eliptical machine, with my headphones on, in my own world. Recently I have been looking for a greater/different challenge with my workouts, and have decided to be brave and try out some of the group classes...

Zumba- was the first class that I attended and probably most within my comfort zone. It is pretty much a kick-ass combo of cardio aerobics and Latin dance. This 60 minute class seriously gets my heart going and I am drenched in sweat by the end... LOVE it.

Yoga- I have only been to yoga once. I took a whole semester of yoga while I was preggers in college. This class didn't really compare. In fact, it was so bad that 1/2 of the class walked out.. very rudely. But it was a sub teacher, so I should probably try it again.

Pilates- Today was my first time trying out this class. My sister is an awesome Pilates teacher, so I figure I should be a bit more knowledgeable about the subject. It was a fusion class like Power Pilates or Pilates Sculpt or something like that, so we used little 2.5 pound handweight throughout. It was a really great class and I think I will be back there next week.

All of these classes have been a nice change-up to my regular treadmill training. I have definitely concluded, though, that I REALLY need to invest in my own yoga mat. Not only are the generic gym ones too short for me and super slippery, but can we just say... GROSS. So I think I will be making a Ross (ya people, ahem sis, don't pay full price for fitness stuff) run before I attempt a mat class again..

As for some of the classes that I will someday be brave enough to try... some sort of gym Dance class. I have never been to one, but have mixed opinions being a dancer, so I will have to test it out. I also am thinking that one day I am going to be in shape enough to not die during a serious class like the cycling ones or powersculpt ones. But right now, I think I would pass out and die...


p.s. my weight loss to date is 14 pounds!

No comments:

Post a Comment